- Can you identify The Unusual Suspects?
- Let's Get Composting!
- Waste Reducers Win Funding for Good Causes
- It all adds up!
- London Reuse Network has Launched
- Feed the 1,000
- The First Feed the 1,000 Event is a Great Success
- One Thousand Portions of Free Food Served to Demonstrate Food Waste
- Windrush Square, Brixton Next Stop for Feed the 1,000 Roadshow
- Annual Report 2013-2014 is now available for Download
- News Archive
- Fire at the Smugglers Way Recycling Facility
- Local residents are in the dark about the multiple benefits of household recycling
- Public Consultation
The First Feed the 1,000 Event is a Great Success
Hammersmith and Fulham enjoys the first Feed the 1000 event.
Yesterday, 1,000 portions of free food were served to local residents of Hammersmith and Fulham.
The Feed the 1,000 event in Ravenscourt Park attracted a diverse range of people who live and work in the borough. Office workers, young mums, school children, joggers and dog walkers queued in the September sunshine to receive a free portion of curry or pasta and a tasty chocolate pudding.
Recycle Western Riverside, in partnership with London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, co-ordinated the Feed the 1,000 event to highlight to local residents that the average UK family throws away six hundred pounds worth of good food every year. This equates to around 1,000 uneaten meals.
As well as enjoying a free meal, there was also the chance to learn more about the issues surrounding food waste, how to reduce it and how to save money.
Volunteers from Hammersmith and Fulham Community Gardens came along with a bicycle powered smoothie maker to show people how easy it is to make a tasty drink out of surplus or leftover fruit.
The Ravenscourt Park event was the first of four Feed the 1,000 events that Recycle Western Riverside will be running.
Waste typically costs companies 4.5% of their turnover (source: Envirowise).
An average office could save thousands of pounds a year just by using both sides of A4 paper.
You can now recycle cartons.