- Can you identify The Unusual Suspects?
- Let's Get Composting!
- WRWA and Cory response to the LGA Statement on Plastics - August 2018
- End of the Line for Waste
- Recycle Week 2018: 24 - 30 September 2018
- Saturday tours of the recycling centre
- Fire at the Smugglers Way Recycling Facility
- China's ban on certain waste materials
Where does my recycling go?
What happens to Cardboard?
OCC is sent to facilities in Belgium. Because the fibre lengths in cardboard are longer, the material is stronger and can be recycled more times than paper or newspaper:
- Bales of cardboard are put into an articulated lorry at the MRF in Smugglers Way and taken to the facility.
- Bales are off-loaded and visually inspected for high levels of contaminants.
- Material is shredded, cleaned and pulped, with a whisk-like machine pulling any remaining contaminants out.
- The pulp is then dried and rolled to make sheets which are then used to make new cardboard packaging.