- Can you identify The Unusual Suspects?
- Let's Get Composting!
- WRWA and Cory response to the LGA Statement on Plastics - August 2018
- Recycle Week 2018: 24 - 30 September 2018
- Saturday tours of the recycling centre
- Fire at the Smugglers Way Recycling Facility
- China's ban on certain waste materials
Where does my recycling go?
Mixed Plastics (Pots, Tubs and Trays)
- Bales are put into an articulated lorry at the MRF in Smugglers Way and taken to the facility.
- The mixed plastics are shredded and placed into a sink tank to separate the plastics into the different grades (i.e. PP, PS, PET, HDPE LDPE).
- These flakes are then washed and dried before being bagged up and sent to the processing facility.
- At the processing facility, the flakes are pelletised, mixed with virgin material (dependent on specification requirement or what is being made) and moulded into new products, such as wheeled bins and storage containers.
- Dependent on the market, pellets can also be sold to other plastic manufacturers around Europe.
- Any contaminants are sent to Energy from Waste Facilities in the UK.