Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
An average office could save thousands of pounds a year just by using both sides of A4 paper!
Here are our top tips to help you reduce, reuse and recycle your office waste:
- Only print what you really need, often emails get printed unnecessarily for filing when you can just as easily store them in electronic files or in your mailbox.
- Use paper on both sides and set your printer and photo copier to print double-sided.
- See if you can arrange a deal with your suppliers to reduce or reuse packaging. Make sure any unavoidable packaging is recyclable whenever possible.
- Use reusable kitchenware such as mugs, plates and cutlery, get your daily milk delivered in bottles by the milkman and avoid buying individually wrapped items like sugar sachets.
- Buy concentrated cleaning materials in bulk.
- Reuse your envelopes for not so important mail.
- If paper has only been used on one side, use it to print out drafts or internal documents.
- Try and find new uses for packaging before you throw it away. For example use boxes in your storage room or yoghurt pots to grow office herbs.
- Try to repair office furniture or computer equipment. Local community groups or charities may be able to help with repairs or they can re-home or sell on unneeded equipment.
- The Work and Play Scrapstore in Tooting takes surplus materials of many kinds including paper, card, office supplies, ex window display items and lots more.
- Recycle any unavoidable waste. Find out how to Set up a recycling scheme at work.